Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Fisherman of the Inland Sea by Ursula Le Guin

This new collection of short fiction by the only science fiction author to win the National Book Award celebrates her understanding that narrative is the shining thread with which we create our common humanity. Astonishing in their diversity & power, her stories exhibit both the artistry of a major writer at the height of her powers & the humanity of a mature artist confronting the world with her gift of wonder still intact. From Goodreads                    

1. "The First Contact with the Gorgonids" 
2. "Newton's Sleep" 
3. "The Ascent of the North Face" 
4. "The Rock That Changed Things"   
5. "The Kerastion" 
6. "The Shobies' Story" 
7. "Dancing to Ganam" 
8. "Another Story OR A Fisherman of the Inland Sea"  


First of, I really like Ursula Le Guin's books that are set in Earthsea. So I was recommended this from my husband for the 2012 Sci-Fi Challenge where the object is to read outside ones comfort zone. This was definitely outside my comfort zone! 

Of the 8 stories I only actually liked 3, 2 were okay and the last 3 just weren't for me. 
I liked :
4. "The Rock That Changed Things" 
7. "Dancing to Ganam" 
8. "Another Story OR A Fisherman of the Inland Sea"   
My favourite was 8. "Another Story OR A Fisherman of the Inland Sea" 
Were okay:
1. "The First Contact with the Gorgonids" 
5. "The Kerastion" 
Not for me:
2. "Newton's Sleep"
3. "The Ascent of the North Face" 
6. "The Shobies' Story"

Ursula Le Guin is brilliant at describing the different societies. And even in 2 of the ones that wasn't for me I do like the setting and description of the place and society
I am pleased I have read some of her fantasy books because this book might have put me off picking up another of her books. As I like her way of writing I think I might try another of her sci-fi  books at a later date. I might put one in my holiday reading pile. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment