Saturday, April 14, 2012

That's Another Story: The Autobiography by Julie Walters

Julie Walters has been delighting audiences on screen and on stage for more than 25 years, and has been described as Britain's most popular actress and comedienne. Now she tells us her own story, in her own words. She was born in 1950s Birmingham, daughter of an austere Irish Catholic mother, and was sent to school in a convent. She wanted to be an actress from a young age, but to appease her mother she first went into nursing—that didn't last for long, and she soon joined Liverpool's Everyman Theatre. West End success followed, and she quickly replicated her success on film, earning an Academy Award nomination for her role in Educating Rita. Julie's collaborations with her close friend Victoria Wood have given audiences many unforgettable characters,
and she's recently charmed a new generation of fans playing Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter films, alongside Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia!, co-starring with Helen Mirren in Calendar Girls, and co-starring in Billy Elliot. A natural writer with an instinctive sense of timing, Julie's memoirs are warm, moving, painfully felt, fiercely intelligent—and totally entertaining. From Goodreads
 
This is an okay book and I did chuckle a few times and enjoyed some of it. But it was not for me. Let me be sure to point out that it is probably me that is the problem here and not the book, I am sure it is an excellent autobiography but it is not a genre I am interested in. It just made me realise that I really don't care what celebrities, actors and other known people have done / are doing with their lives.

I read this book as part of the Scavenger Hunt 2012 Challenge and it is the only reason I chose an autobiography. That is another problem as the person who put up this challenge actually hasn't opened it up or posted in any way since December 2011. Apart from this I still find it a interesting challenge so whether it is a active challenge or not I am going to keep reading the books for the challenge.

This book qualifies for: 
Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge, 
2012 Ebook Challenge,
Scavenger Hunt 2012,
2012 Where are you reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment