Monday, September 17, 2012

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Ninth Legion marched into the mists of Northern Britain--and they were never seen again. Four thousand men disappeared and their eagle standard was lost. It's a mystery that's never been solved, until now . . . Marcus has to find out what happened to his father, who led the legion. So he sets out into the unknown, on a quest so dangerous that nobody expects him to return.  From Goodreads.





I am trying to finish my reading challenges so I needed a book starting with E. I have tons of books on my Kindle I have not read and I don't even know all the books that I have so I decided that the book had to be one that was already on my Kindle. I set my Kindle to show my books alphabetical and came across this one which turns out to be one my husband had put on - we share the same Kindle account.el
I was slightly put off by the fact it was about a Roman soldier as I am not a great fan of war books. My husband convinced me to read it and I am quite glad about that. There is not a lot of fighting going on but it is more about Marcus' quest to find the Eagle of the Ninth and find out what actually happened to his father when he disappeared. It is about an unlikely friendship, unlikely for that time period, and also the acceptance of other cultures.
As it seems we have the film that has been made of this book I might just have to watch it. And I will also read more of her books in the future.

This book qualifies for:
100 books in a year Reading Challenge 2012,
Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge,
2012 Ebook Challenge,  
A-Z  Book Challenge 2012,

No comments:

Post a Comment