Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Yellow Fairy Book by Andrew Lang

Ships fly, cabbages turn men into donkeys, a childless couple is sent a baby boy the size of a hazelnut, and a dog, a cat and a mouse join forces to retrieve a magic ring. Amongst the 48 stories in The Yellow Fairy Book are much loved classics such as 'Thumbelina' and 'The Steadfast Tin Soldier', but in this volume Lang also included wonderfully exotic tales from Russia, Hungary, Iceland and America. From Goodreads.








I love fairy tales. I remember being on holiday at my grandparents, probably soon after I had learned to read. They had 3 books with collected fairy tales and I think I have read the 3 books at least a hundred times.
This book has both tales that are well known to me and also a few I had not read before. Also it had several versions of the same tales which was quite interesting, especially the ones I thought I knew and then they suddenly had a very different ending to the one I expected.

This book qualifies for:
2014 Ebook challenge
Read Scotland 2014
2014 Read Your Freebies! Reading Challenge
You Read How Many Books? Reading Challenge 2014
Nothing but Reading Challenges Wheel-A-Thon
Goodreads Reading Challenge 2014
Nothing but Reading Challenges - Spell it Out - Animal Alphabet (Y-jellyfish)
Crazy Challenge Connection Bard of Avon

No comments:

Post a Comment