Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

This is the first book in the Carnegie Medal and Guardian Award-winning trilogy His Dark Materials, from Philip Pullman. Set in a parallel world very similar to our own, Northern Lights tells the compelling story of 12-year-old Lyra's quest to rescue her friend and find her father, aided by her daemon, an armoured bear, and a witch-queen. This prize-winning tale is narrated with vigour and dynamism by the author and a full cast. Written and read by Philip Pullman. From Goodreads.





It is quite a while since I read this trilogy and it is interesting listening to them. This is different from the other audio-books I have listened to as this is narrated by Philip Pullman and a full cast, that makes it special.
Just now it is Banned Books Week 2014 - Affirm the Freedom to Read in USA. I am very lucky to be in a country that does not ban books and let me have the right to chose whichever book I want to read. Why would I mention that in this post? Well this book has at least been challenged (groups have tried to get it banned) if not banned in some schools and libraries in the States.
I believe in the right to read anything you want. There are books I will not read but it is my choice not because somebody else decides it has bad language, wrong religious viewpoints or any other reason they can think of.

This book qualifies for:
You Read How Many Books? Reading Challenge 2014
The Challenge Factory - September 2014 Creature ~ Witches!
Goodreads Reading Challenge 2014
Crazy Challenge Connection - Let's Play Jeopardy!
Nothing but Reading Challenges - Spell it Out - Animal Alphabet (L-vulture)
Crazy Challenge Connection Bard of Avon

No comments:

Post a Comment