Travelling Hogwarts Style hosted by A Million More Pages on Goodreads.
I have completed this for full points as I have read 8 books and added a cartoon for bonus point.
1 April - 31 May 2015
The magical world contains mystical animals, objects, myths and spells
and it uses these to move from place to place. However it also utilises
the everyday Muggle options, sometimes with modifications, sometimes
not. Whichever way Harry and his cohorts moved from place to place,
here is a challange to 'transport' you from Gringots to Hogwarts and
Read tasks from the themes below, obeying the limits outlined at the start of each theme.
Level 1 - 3 books = 2 points
Level 2 - 6 books = 4 points
Level 3 - 8 books = 6 points
Bonus = 1 point if you include a cartoon of an HP character travelling in your post
* Post your house
* Books may be read in any order. Each task can only be selected once.
readers doing levels 1 or 2, you do NOT need to read a book from every
theme - you just cannot exceed the maximum stated task/s for each theme.
* Rereads are allowed
* Audiobooks are allowed (where not specifically excluded)
* NO Manga,Comics, Graphic Novels
* A book can only be used once during this challenge.
* Minimum Page Length: 125 (140 for YA)
* You may start reading your book/s before the start date but must not finish them before the start date.
* Childrens book are allowed where they also have YA on the main page genre listing
* Posting requirements:
Book title, author, date read. PLUS:
~ you MUST post the bookcover and other challenge details where the task requires this.
Where there are several options for a task (eg
Disapparition/Appariation which has 3 options), you MUST indicate which
option you selected either by only showing the selected option for that
task, or by specifying it in the book completion post.
* Can I Ignore A/An/The in Titles? n/a
* Author Names Count in Matching Letters? n/a
* Can Series titles be used for meeting requirements? n/a
* Verification is NOT required.
Read a maximum of 3 books, each meeting one of the following themes:
* Horse-less drawn carriages - read a book with 'historical' on the first page genre list
Maids of Misfortune by M. Louisa Locke
* Buckbeak, The Hippogriff & Thestrals - read a book with 'paranormal' on the first page genre list
Tastes Like Chicken by Johnny B. Truant
Flying Carpet (this only ever appears as a reference in one of the
books) - read a book with 'magic' on the first page genre list or a book
set in Asia or the Middle East
* Broomstick - read a book with
the word 'witch', 'warlock', 'wizard', 'sorcerer' in its blurb or main
page genre list or a book with a character who is a cleaner or
Girl's Guide to Witchcraft by Mindy Klasky (Does Jane have what it takes to become a real witch?)
From the following list, read a maximum of 3 books, each fitting one of the following transport modes:
Floo network (chimney flue) - read a book with the word 'chimney' or
'powder'. Please note the location/page number and the sentence in
which it is contained. (No audiobooks)
Legend by Marie Lu loc: 1826: I huddle behind the CHIMNEY.
Disapparition/Appariation - read a book set around a missing person (in
the blurb), a mystery (main page genre listed) or a book published after
31 December 2014
Louisiana Longshot by Jana Deleon (Mystery, top genre)
* Portkeys (portals activated by charm) - read a
book with a charming character, set on the beach/seaside or waterfront
or a book with boot/s or a key/s on the cover.
THE TEA SHOP: Cakes, Ice Cream & Afternoon Tea by De-ann Black (sea front)
* Timeturner -
read a time-travel book, a book that spans at least 2 decades or a book
with flashbacks contained in the storyline.
* Vanishing Cabinet (Borgin & Burkes) - read a book written by an author who is dead.
✔ MUGGLE-BASED MUNDANE
Read a maximum of 1 book with one of the following themes:
Wormtail (carried Voldermort) - read a book where the main character
carries another character (physically), has a gardener or servant as a
character, or shows two people embracing on the bookcover
Toilet network (Ministry of Magic) - read a book with the word 'toilet'.
Please note the location/page number and the sentence in which it is
contained. (No audiobooks)
The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick loc: 320: - hiding a few under my tongue and spitting them into the TOILET when she leaves me.
Some of Hogwart's and the Ministry of Magic's modern modes of transportation are listed below. Read a maximum of 1 book that contain one of the following:
* Hogwart's Express - read a book where a main character travels on train somewhere in the storyline
Roseanna by Maj Sjöwall, Per Wahlöö Loc: 288: He awoke in good time to change trains at Hallsberg.
Knight Bus - read a book where a bus or a knight appear somewhere in
the storyline. Please provide a some detail of how/where it/they
* Car & The Ford Anglia - read a book with a car on the cover
* Hagrid's Motorbike - read a book with a motorcylce or bicycle on the cover
* Rowboat - read a book with a rowboat somewhere in the storyline. Please provide a some detail of how/where it appears.
* Durnstang Ship - read a book where a main character travels a ship/boat somewhere in the storyline