Hogwarts Scavenger Hunt hosted by A Million More Pages on Goodreads.
Hogwarts Castle Scavenger Hunt
June 1, 2015 - ???
I really enjoyed this the first time and I am now taking part in a new round of Hogwarts Scavenger Hunt. This time there is 2 levels, slow and fast. I am doing fast where we are allowed to read 3 books a week. My thread on Goodreads. There are usually a couple of tasks to chose from at each location, I will on list the one I used on the list at the bottom of this post.
"The castle is a stronghold of ancient magic."
Castle is a large, seven-story high building supported by magic, with
many towers and turrets and very deep dungeons, built in the late Early
Middle Ages (c. 993) by a wizard architect and the four most celebrated
wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena
Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. The Castle houses Hogwarts School of
Witchcraft and Wizardry, regarded as the finest wizarding school in the
Due to the castle’s immense size, first years have been
known to get lost and be late for classes. In order to familiarize
first years with the castle, I have devised a scavenger hunt that will
take you to the most hidden corners of the castle. Hidden somewhere
within the castle or on the castle grounds are two Invisibility Cloaks.
The students who reaches the cloaks first will receive 15 House points
and the use of the cloak for one day. All others who reach the cloak
(within the following 7 days) will receive 10 House points, while
students who participate in the scavenger hunt, but do not reach the
cloak, will receive 5 House points.
Each student will begin in
his/her Common Room. Once the associated task is complete, you will be
given further directions. Some directions will lead you to shortcuts,
some to dead ends. Remember, Hogwarts is a very magical place, and you
never know what you might run into!
When you sign up, please
indicate which speed you wish to play at. The FAST readers cannot read
more than 3 books per week. The SLOW readers cannot read more than 1
book per week! The two games will be completely different! There will be different tasks and different room connections! You CANNOT play both games.
15 Points to the first student to reach the Invisibility Cloak in each game
10 Points to all other students who reach the Cloak within the following 7 days
5 Points to all students who participate but do NOT reach the Cloak (must have read 3 books)
you sign up, I will create a personal thread for you to keep track of
your progress. This is also where I will give you your next location!
you have completed the associated task for each room, post the task and
any required information in your personal thread. Once your task has
been verified, I will post your next set of directions.
-When you post a completed location, you MUST include which speed you are playing at in your post!
✪ Minimum Page Length: 125 (140 for YA)
✪ Are Rereads Allowed? Yes
✪ Can I start a book before Challenge Start Date? No
✪ Children Allowed with restrictions: Yes
☛ Restrictions: Must also have YA as Main Page Genre
✪ Posting Requirements when complete:
☛Book title/cover, author, date read, current location in the castle, task, speed
✪ Are Audiobooks Allowed? Yes
✪ Manga,Comics, Graphic Novels Allowed? No
✪ Can I Ignore A/An/The in Titles? Yes, unless otherwise noted
✪ Author Names Count in Matching Letters? n/a
✪ Can a book be used more than once in this challenge?: No
✪ Can the Tasks be done in any order: n/a
✪ Can Series titles be used for meeting requirements? No
✪ Verification Required For Points: Yes
-If the task requires you find something on the book cover, you MUST post the cover!
-If it is not clear how the book fits the task, you MUST give a short explanation
-Once per day I will check the thread, verify posts, and post new locations
-You may ONLY read a certain number of books per week for this challenge:
-FAST GAME: no more than 3 books per week
-SLOW GAME: no more than 1 book per week
the cloak is found, there will no longer be a limit to the amount of
books read per week for that game! This will hopefully allow more
participants to find the hiding place and earn more points! :)
⚑ Questions and book verifications should be directed to the Q&A and Verifications thread!
List of places, tasks and books:
1. Ravenclaw Common Room – Read a book from Pat’s TBR shelf. (Pat's clones bookshelf)
First Frost by Liz DeJesus
2. Ground Floor Corridor – Read a book that has over 400 pages
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (652 pages)
3. Quidditch Cave – Read a book that has a 4 in the publication date
Marked by Elisabeth Naughton (published 23/4-2010)
4. Astronomy Corridor – Read a book originally published in January
The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera (first published January 1st 1987)
5. Head of Ravenclaw's Office – Read a book with a main character that is older than you
Murder at Jade Cove by Dianne Harman (I am 48, the main character is in her early 50's)
6. Dungeon Cave – Read a book with a "V" found somewhere in the title
The Vintage Sewing and Knitting Bee by De-ann Black
7. Head of Ravenclaw's Office – Read a book with a main character whose first or last initial begins with “F”
En Heldig Mand by Michael J. Fox (Michael J. Fox is the main character of this
8. Astronomy Corridor – Read a book with some kind of weapon on the cover
Young Lord of Khadora by Richard S. Tuttle (spears)
9. Hospital Wing – Read a book with a main character who works in a medical field
Marked by Sarah Fine (MC is paramedic)
10. One-Eyed Witch Passage – Read any book of your choice
First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
11. Astronomy Reading Room – Read a book by the same author as your previous book read
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
12. One-Eyed Witch Passage – Read any book of your choice.
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
13. Quidditch Pitch – Read a book with a main character that is younger than you. (all the main character are teenagers)
The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
14. Head of Hufflepuff’s Office – Read a book by a Goodreads Author.
Geoducks Are for Lovers by Daisy Prescott
15. Head of Gryffindor’s Office – Read a book with a main character whose first or last initial is with “M” . (Male MC is Gabe McLeod)
The Return of Gabe McLeod by Joanne Hill
16. Herbology Storeroom – Read a book whose title begins with an “L”.
The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
17. Head of Gryffindor’s Office – Read a book with a chair on the cover.
Country Heaven by Ava Miles
18. Head of Hufflepuff’s Office – Read a book by a Goodreads Author.
Born in Shame by Nora Roberts
19. Herbology Storeroom – Read a book whose title begins with an “L”.
Lady Falls by Renee Bernard
20. Tapestry Corridor – Read a book where a theft is important to the plot.
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
21. Herbology Storeroom – Read a book whose title begins with an “L”.
Love, Laughter, and Murder Ever After by Jeanine Spooner
22. Head of Gryffindor’s Office – Read a book with a main character whose first or last initial is with “M” (Male MC is Kaldar Mar)
Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews
23. Head of Hufflepuff’s Office – Read a book by a Goodreads Author.
Memory & Dream by Charles de Lint
24. Entrance Hall – Read a book by a new-to-you author
Memories of the Blue Door by Neil Davis
25. Charms Corridor – Read a book first published in the month of your birth OR a book with a two word title (include ALL words).
Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews
26. Bell Towers - Read a book with a twisted plot.
STRANGERS by Chirag Upadhyay
Continuing this in 2016 but only on Goodreads.